skip to Main Content

Welcome to the Hotel Kerobokan Bali’s Kerobokan Prison’s Breakdown on Occupancy and ‘Market Mix’

The current prisoner population for Bali’s Kerobokan prison stands at 1,056 convicts living in a facility originally constructed to house only 323 people. Overcrowding by 327% is due mainly to narcotic-related offenders and those awaiting trial on drug offenses.

More facts and figures for the Kerobokan prison from BeritaBali.com:

• Of the 1,056 people house in the prison, 361 (34%) are detained awaiting trial while the remaining 695 (66%) are convicted and serving sentences.

• There are currently 52 foreigners (5%) behind bars at the prison. 12 are awaiting trial and 40 are convicted and serving sentences.

• 9 (1%) of those housed at the prison are juveniles and 130 (12.3%) are female inmates.

• Narcotics charges are linked to 135 under detention awaiting trial and to 362 serving narcotics-related sentences. Combined, this totals 497 inmates or 47% of all those living at the prison.

• Theft cases represent 90 people under detention and 112 serving sentences. Combined theft cases constitute 19% of all inmates.

• Gambling cases account for 22 under detention and 30 under sentence for a combined 5% of all inmates.

• Homicide cases represent 3 people under detention and 37 people serving time. Combined inmates linked to murder represent 4% of those staying at the prison.

© Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com. All images and graphics are copyright protected.

Search